Sunday 18 May 2014

Event Report: Fruits of our Labours, May 17, AS 49 (2014)

I, Colyne, squire, lord of Colynesburg, wish to make known to all who will view the present letters that, on the seventeenth day of May, in the forty-ninth year of the Society, I traveled with my lady wife to the verdant lands of Ramshaven to participate in the activities of the annual Fruits of our Labours event. As our kennel master was occupied with other duties that day, and as the site upon which this event is held does not allow the presence of canines, we were afraid we would not indeed be able to attend the event at all. However, in the last moment, as the sun rose, we received word from the good folk at the manse of Havencroft that they would be honoured to watch over our hound, allowing us to make our pilgrimage.

Though my humours were unbalanced as the day began, we persevered in our journey, and arrived at the spacious site at half past nine in the morn. Our first site was a small field of wagons and wains, but moving past them we came to a large lodge, overlooking a sweeping dale. To the right arose the tents and pennants of those who had braved the chill night and had arisen with breath pluming from their mouths. Straight ahead was an open expanse where both the young and experienced fighters and fencers would later show their worth by placing their bodies upon the anvil of virtue. At the edge of this area sat a sheltered area that would see many meetings and classes held under its shade during the coming days. To the left of these lists were spread the archery and thrown weapons ranges, which were filled with participants whenever I happened to gaze upon them. To complete this scene, a small croft sat between the thrown weapons list and the main lodge. It was in this croft that I would spend half my day.

To this croft I straight away sped, as I was to teach a class on writing texts for award scrolls based on period sources. Though the class was small, the participants were enthusiastic, and I believe and hope that the College of Scribes will shortly gain new scriveners to their ranks.

Following this class I remained in the croft to participate in a meeting of the Bookbinders Guild of Ealdormere. This meeting was graced with the presence of His Majesty, and those in attendance were impressed with the book clasps THL Tarian verch Gadarn had made in her Masters’ workshop.

When the meeting was complete, Þorfinna and I slipped away to the lodge where were procured victuals provided by Baron Cynred and Baroness Margaret. After consuming our meal, we ventured outside and talked with many friends until the time came once again for me to teach.

I sped back to the croft where I again taught a small class, this time having a round table discussion about the opportunities within the Society for the writer to ply their craft, for there are more than many think.

With my commitments for the day thus meet, I wandered to the list field, while Þorfinna gleefully ran off to carve bones with HE Lucia and grind pigments with Lady Margeurite. The weather was generally still cool, but the sun did at times pierce the clouds and warm the soul. Some of us thanked Baron Corwyn for this gift, as it is send the good baron can make the sun shine by taking a certain posture. Due to my imbalanced humours during the morning hours, I had neglected to bring my kit, and I was to regret this as I watched the valourous combat to take place on the field. Gerard of Ardchreag authorized that day, and later both THL Hans and Lady Neala would authorize in the double weapon form. A royal tourney was held under the watchful eyes of Sir Edward and Lord Wulfric, with Duke Trumbrand coming in first, Duchess Kaylah coming in second, and Jack the Pirate coming in third. At the tourney’s conclusion a warlord tourney was held, followed by other melee scenarios and single combats.

Though I could only watch the fighting I was happy to spend time chatting with the combatants and other spectators, meeting several people I had not previously known, including a contingent from the Blackwood.

At the fifth hour, court was held in front of the shade. Both Their Excellencies Ramshaven and Their Majesties recognized several individuals for their good works, but the memory of man is short, and already have I forgotten their names, to my shame. One item I do recall however, is that this incarnation of Fruits of our Labours had more teachers and classes than any of its predecessors.

At court’s conclusion, we began the journey for home.

In testimony of the aforesaid I have protected the present document by impression of my seal. Written in the year of the Society 49, on the feast day of Venantius of Camerino.



Based on a letter from Wolfert of Malstede to Margaret of Constantinople, Countess of Flanders, August 21, 1248.

No comments:

Post a Comment